Tuesday, March 5, 2013

ATHLETES OF THE WEEK: Daniel Boone’s Ryan Owens and Spring-Ford’s Sammy Stipa

Sammy Stipa

Ryan Owens

By Mercury Staff
sports@pottsmerc.com

BOYS ATHLETE OF THE WEEK

Ryan Owens
Daniel Boone
Swimming

What he has done
Sophomore, who came in seeded 10th in the event, captured the District 3-AAA gold medal in the 200-yard freestyle with a blistering 1:42.07 opening day, then added the bronze medal in the in the 500 free, where he come in the 12th seed, with a 4:40.08. Both times move Owens to the top of The Mercury area swimming leaders in those events. Since Daniel Boone does not have a full swim team, Owens trains at the Boyertown YMCA under the guidance of Boyertown veteran head coach Linda Jones.

What he says
“I thought I had a chance, but there were a lot of fast swimmers. Then getting the gold, it was kind of a relief because I knew how hard I had worked all years just for districts. I can’t even put into words what that gold meant, it was just amazing. You don’t really see the 10th seed winning districts a lot. It was like a weight lifted off my shoulders and really got me excited going into the following day for the 500 free. And that 500 bronze was kind of the bonus.”

(For complete story, click here ... )



No comments:

Post a Comment